EWASTE+ PRO TIP:
Hard Drive Destruction or Sanitization should never be a DIY project.
1. Qualify your ITAD Provider. ASK QUESTIONS!
- Are they certified by the National Association for Information Destruction (NAID)? (Please Note: NAID Members are not necessarily certified.)
- What’s their process? Shredding/Sanitization?
- Will you receive documentation/ reporting?
- Are you covered under their liability insurance?
- Are they compliant with all local, state and federal regulations?
- Is you provider qualified to handle solid state drives, cell phones and tablets?
2. Hard Drive Destruction should be performed by a qualified professional.
- Working with a professional vendor will be time and cost effective!
- A professional ITAD partner should provide you with full chain-of custody-reporting, as well as a Certificate of Destruction.
3. Unless you have extenuating circumstances, leave hard drives in your computers.
- This will ensure the proper linking relationship (i.e. Hard Drive to computer) in your serialization report.
- Verification service of missing drives (when applicable).
“EVERY YEAR, WE PROCESS, SERIALIZE AND DESTROY MILLIONS OF POUNDS OF DATA-BEARING DEVICES FOR OUR CUSTOMERS. OUR RIGOROUS PROCESS INCLUDES SECURE COLLECTION AND HANDLING, DOCUMENTED CHAIN-OF-CUSTODY, AS WELL AS ASSET INVENTORY AND SERIAL NUMBER TRACKING. FROM DOWNSTREAM DATA COVERAGE, TO OUR ZERO-LANDFILL INITIATIVE; OUR RECYCLING PROCESS BRINGS SIGNIFICANT VALUE TO ANY BUSINESS…”PETE COOPER, EWASTE+ ASSET MANAGEMENT SUPERVISOR